I have been watching some of the coverage of the American primary elections. It seems such a shame that the Democrats have 2 excellent candidates.
If I had to choose, it would be for Hillary. I thought about this the other day because I have noted the sexist attitude that she has faced. Commentators have talked about her being "pushy" (for that they mean, ambitious - God help any woman who is ambitious) and they suggest that she is riding on the coat tails of her husband. That's why she stood by him - for her career! It's amazing to think that in the year 2008, that women are still judged for their relationships and that she couldn't possibly have got there for her - shock horror- abilities. It wasn't Bill who used HER knowledge and skill to help his career. The fact that she stood by him after Lewinsky is seen as weakness rather than strength. When she was seen crying in a talk at a restaurant people said she was "playing the gender card"!
With Obama, no one would dare accuse him of character traits based on his race. They wouldn't say "he messed up there, must be cos he's black". So while I think he is an excellent candidate I'm afraid that Hillary is my choice. In the year 2008 it's a shame the world is still so divided and that women still occupy an inferior position.
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment