I was listening the the radio yesterday as usual and there was a caller on air called "Africa". I thought, what an amazing name! It got me thinking about names.
I have always liked my name - Hannah. It's a palindrome which makes me feel special and it's not so common that you hear it all the time. It also can't be shortened and I like that too! I saw an article with Neil Ruddock who said that his daughter was called Pebbles and I thought what an odd name. But what constitutes a normal name? Who decided that John, Robert and Clive were normal names and Pebbles, Friday and Africa were abnormal? I think a name is important as it defines a character. You always have to think about the child going through life. Will they be taken seriously as Pebbles? Or will they just be seen as a glamour model!? Some names will probably never come back in fashion - such as Carol (my mums name) and Deirdre. But then Alfie, Albert and George are en vogue again now so who knows?
My personal choice for children's names would be Max, Bayley and Matilda. They are our future 3 children! Original, interesting and not embarrasing!
Saturday, March 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I like your name choices. I agree names should be original without being embarrassing. Worst names I have recently heard are Sweet Pea and Duckworth.
Post a Comment