Sunday, March 2, 2008

Mother's Day

So today is Mother's Day.

Of course I am lucky because I have a lovely and unselfish mum. I always wonder why people go on about how motherhood is the "hardest job" and that mothers are wonderful and unselfish people who put their children first. Is that what being a mother is about, making yourself second class? I don't think that's a good example to set for your children. Motherhood is de-valued and I'll admit that I am as guilty as others of thinking this. When people say they have given up their career to look after the children I judge and pity them. I think, poor you, chained to the house. Why do I think that? I guess because it's not something that I would choose to do and I'm trying to justify my opinion.

Women are far worse than men at judging each other. I've seen stay at home mums or "full time" mothers (like there is such a thing as part time?!) slag off working mothers, saying they are selfish and putting their careers first. I see working mothers seeing housewives as pathetic individuals who have given up their ambition. Why are we always so divided?

Of course not all women should be mothers at all. Alex has been cursed with some really awful mother figures (not his current one) and it just goes to show that being a mother does not suddenly change your character and make you loving and unselfish.

But like I said, I am lucky!

No comments: