I consider myself to be a fairly tolerant person. My research investigates prejudice across a variety of areas - race, religion, sexuality, disability, age and gender. It has taught me the importance of diversity and difference and the problems of bigotry. However, there is one area where I am not tolerant - and that is regarding the old woman downstairs.
She isn't really old - she is in her 50s and lives with her daughter. Since living above them we have observed an array of loser boyfriends of all different sorts. The common theme is the volume of alcohol that they drink - she is an alcoholic. About a month ago she returned home late from one of her regular pub jaunts at about 11.30pm. They put on the stereo and proceeded to laugh, shout and scream for 2 hours. I called the environmental health who came round and "sorted it out". Since then things have been okay - no music, but the fact is that we live very different lives. We go to bed before midnight and get up before nine. She lives an opposite schedule, going to bed after 3 and lying in. Our timescales are incompatible - so who is in the wrong?
I am saying all of this because a friend of hers has just turned up with 2 large crates of stella artois. It could be a heavy night.
Overall she is a detestable creature I think, with little regard for those living around her. She persists in being loud and vocal, despite our polite complaints. All we ask is that when she has a party, she knocks on the door and warns us. When we leave I am going to put dog poo on her bike.
19.11 update - their drug dealer has just arrived. Three hours earlier than normal for a friday. Definitely a tough weekend ahead.
Friday, April 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment