Friday, August 1, 2008

RIP Felix

Having blogged about Rosie and worrying about her for the last week, I can't believe that I have just had one of the other hamsters put to sleep.

Oscar and Felix (pictured above- Felix on the left, eating some carrot) have lived happily for 20 months. They have had the odd play fight but generally get along fine. Until 2 nights ago when Felix was attacked by Oscar, so much so that he was bleeding and cowering in a corner. Very unlike Oscar who is usually just a ball of fluff and very docile. Last night the same thing happened again and so I decided that they would need to be separated. Only I didn't get that far. After returning from the pet shop with a new cage I found Felix again cowering. But his eye was out of the socket -sorry to be gruesome. He was in a terrible state.

So I took him to the vets at 12pm and they found he had lots of other injuries - mostly bite marks and scratches. So sadly he had to be put to sleep. It was horrible, something I haven't had to do before. Now I want to throw Oscar out of the window for being so savage - but obviously I won't.

So it's a sad day here.

4 comments:

Veggie Carrie said...

Oh poor Felix, it's weird how Oscar turned on him. I think hamsters prefer to live alone.

Frankofile said...

Oh poor you too. Ghastly. I remember the death of our first fish... I've come to terms (it was years ago) but oh dear grim.

H said...

Thanks for your comments. I have had hamsters for years - normally syrians who must live alone.But this time I got Russian dwarf ones as they live together happily - normally.
Felix has now been buried in the hamster cemetary at my parent's house. Along with his 18 predecessors!

Lindsey said...

:-( That's awful, poor Felix. I've just bought four Roborovski hamsters who at the moment are best friends so fingers crossed it will stay that way! I've kept lots of animals before but never hamsters but they are already lovely to have around.